Marriage Licenses

How do you apply for a marriage license?

You must come in with your intended spouse to the Town Clerk’s Office. Appointment required. This process cannot be done through the mail.  

Do we have to be Hadley residents in order to apply in Hadley?

No, if you are getting married in Massachusetts you may apply anywhere in the state. If you live in Massachusetts but are getting married out of state, you must file marriage intentions in that state.

What if one or both of us is under 18?

You must go to court and obtain a court waiver (permission) to marry.

How long after the application will the license be issued?

The license will be issued three days later, which is state law. It can be picked up by either applicant at the Clerk’s Office.

What if we have waited too long to apply for our license and our wedding is scheduled less than three days from the date of the license application?

You must go to court and obtain a court order to waive the three-day waiting period.

How long after issuance is the license valid?

The license is valid sixty days from the day the couple came into the office to apply and may be used in any Massachusetts city or town. However, it is not valid outside of the state.

How much does a license cost?

The cost in Hadley is $25.

How can I get a copy of my marriage license?

Assuming the license was issued by the Town of Hadley Clerk’s Office, you can a) physically enter the office or b) request a copy by mail c) Order online payment.  Please include a self-addressed envelope along with your request as well as a check or money order payable to the Town of Hadley for $10 for each copy.