COMMONWEALTH OF MASSACHUSETTS
TOWN OF HADLEY
BOARD OF HEALTH
WHEREAS, the Delta variants are now accounting for approximately 85% of positive cases in
Massachusetts (source https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#variant-proportions) and
cases have started to appear in Hadley; and
WHEREAS, these variants are almost twice as contagious as previous variants; and
WHEREAS, we know that masks slow or prevent transmission of all COVID-19 variants so far;and
WHEREAS, as we see cases rise in surrounding counties and communities during this season
of summer travel and gatherings, we are committed to preventing transmission, keeping our
numbers as low as possible, and protecting our most vulnerable from severe illness with a new mask mandate; and
WHEREAS, according to the CDC, “Given what we know about the Delta variant, vaccine effectiveness, and current vaccine coverage, layered prevention strategies, such as wearing
masks, are needed to reduce the transmission of this variant.”
NOW, THEREFORE, commencing on August 22, 2021 at 12:01 a.m., the following Policies and
Procedures MUST be implemented at all times in all public indoor spaces in the Town of Hadley
SECTION 1 AUTHORITY:
This order is promulgated under the authority granted to the Board of Health under Massachusetts General Law, Chapter 111, Section 31.
SECTION 2 DEFINITIONS:
Public Indoor Spaces - The term “public indoor spaces” shall include all workplaces in the Town of Hadley into which members of the public are invited or otherwise allowed to enter a building or structure to interact with any persons in order to transact any public or private business.
Includes but not limited to; workplaces, restaurants, bars, indoor performance and event venues, hotels and motels, gyms, fitness clubs, salons, places of worship
SECTION 3 POLICIES AND PROCEDURES:
Except as specified in Section 4, masks are required in all indoor public places as well asprivate places open to the public, regardless of vaccination status for those five (5) years of age or older.
No vented masks are allowed.
1. Employees of public indoor spaces in the Town of Hadley must wear masks or other face coverings at all times while on the premises of the business.
2. Customers of public indoor spaces in the Town of Hadley must wear masks or other face coverings at all times while on the premises of the business.
3. Fitness venues: masks are required at all times including during strenuous activity
4. All mask or face coverings worn in accordance with this Order shall conform to the following:
a. Fit snugly but comfortably against the side of the face and cover the nose and mouth completely; and
b. Be secured with ties or ear loops; and
c. Include multiple layers of fabric; and
d. Allow for breathing without restriction; and
e. Be able to be laundered and machine dried without damage or change to shape; and
f. May be removed for eating, drinking; where allowed; and
g. Disposable surgical/procedural masks are permitted
SECTION 4 EXEMPTIONS:
Nothing in this order is intended to encourage residents to act as an enforcement authority for the Town of Hadley. Residents should not take it upon themselves to approach people in violation of this order.
Residents are urged to focus solely on their personal compliance with this order.
1. Nothing in this order shall be construed to require a mask to be worn by children under age five (5) or children who frequently compromise mask integrity with frequent manipulations or removals, anyone who has trouble breathing, or is unconscious, incapacitated, or otherwise unable to remove the mask without assistance or anyone who cannot wear a mask for other underlying health and safety reasons.
2. Office spaces that are open to the public but are an enclosed space with a barrier between the public and employees, may be exempt from wearing a mask or face covering when not interacting with the public, the barrier is closed, and only one person occupies the enclosed space.
3. Music performers who are singing and/or playing brass or wind instruments are not required to wear face coverings but must adhere to social distancing of at least 10 feet from any member of the public when performing indoors.
4. While seated in a restaurant or theatre, masks are required unless consuming food or drink
SECTION 5 ENFORCEMENT:
To the extent necessary, this Order shall be enforced by the Hadley Board of Health. Violations of any reasonable health regulation, for which no penalty by way of fine or imprisonment, or both, is provided by law, may be punished by a fine of not more than one thousand ($1,000) dollars per day.
SECTION 6 EFFECTIVE:
This order is in effect at 12:01 a.m. August 22, 2021 for a period of thirty (30) days at which time the Board of Health will either continue, modify or rescind this order.