The mission of the Hadley Department of Public Works is to provide and maintain the Public Services necessary for the continued growth and improvement of quality of life of the citizens of Hadley.
The Department of Public Works staff consists of 19 employees responsible for the maintenance of Hadley's infrastructure and public facilities. The Divisions within the Department include Administration; Water and Sewer; Vehicle Maintenance; Highway; Solid Waste and Recycling. The Department is also responsible for the care and maintenance of Town trees and Snow and Ice removal.
The Public Works Administration is responsible for providing continuous coordination to all divisions for the Department of Public Works through effective leadership in order to ensure that all the functions of the Department are carried out completely and efficiently.
The specific functions of this office include:
- Preparation of the annual operating budget for the Department and overseeing expenditures of all divisions;
- Providing clerical and accounting support to the Department for the processing of payroll, purchase orders, invoices and the management of the Departmental budget; maintaining records;
- Developing and updating the Department's long term Capital Plan for all division
- Supervising Department personnel, including ensuring that personnel are properly trained and motivated;
- Ensuring compliance with federal, state and local laws and regulations relative to Public Works Operations;
- Receiving inquiries and recording complaints from citizens relative to the Public Works infrastructure and forwarding the information to the appropriate division for action;
- Interfacing with Town Boards, Commissioners, consulting engineers and other Departments, as well as providing coordination with State and Federal Agencies, other municipalities and outside utilities relative to Public Works projects;
- The contracting with various engineering/consulting firms to prepare specifications and designs for utility related construction plans, bid material and service contracts. Oversee various contracts and administer public construction projects.