In our area the Massachusetts Fuel Assistance Program is administered by Community Action of the Franklin, Hampshire, and North Quabbin Regions, Inc. This program helps needy families by paying a portion of their heating bills from November 1 to April 30. Eligibility is based on the number of people in the household and their combined gross income.
For example, during the 2012-2013 heating season, if a Massachusetts resident was living on a low or fixed income, whether he/she rented or owned the home, and their income was below $31,271 for a one-person household, or below $40,893 for a two-person household, he/she was encouraged to apply.
An appointment to complete an application is made with Community Action (1-800-370-0940) or with the Council on Aging (586-4023).
You will need the following documents:
- State or federally issued ID
- Social Security number
- Social security information for all household members age 18 or older
- Birthdates for all household members
- Proof of income for all household members age 18 or older-please note, proof of income must cover thirty days prior to your appointment date.
- Fuel provider and account number
- Most current electric bill showing: fuel applicants name on bill, service address and account number
- Homeowners must bring the most current copy of their: mortgage statement, homeowners insurance bill, realestate tax bill
- Renters must bring the most current copy of their lease or rental agreement, rent subsidy information (if applicable)